Brontë | 19 | cis woman
I could not capture you
even if the words were written in my own
blood, because this skin can only hold so
much. Because I can no longer look at you
without burning. You are too painful for poetry
and too big for language. You are far too many
things I don’t know how to write about.
i want a show called Man Vs. Wilde where someone is put in the jungle with oscar wilde and has to survive not only the elements but also wilde’s random attacks and massive ego
Mann vs. Wilde.
Thomas Mann’s pretensiousness and sexual repression vs. Oscar Wilde’s sarcasm and blatant queerness.
Give it to me.
Ah, hello, Person Of Immense Politeness. I suspect you’re here to talk about my OTP. Luckily for you, I’m in a good mood, so I’m going to go through this nice and rationally.
- Yes, as a matter of fact, I am aware of that. As it happens, I’m an English literature student, and have not only read all 4 novels and 56 short stories, but studied them in depth. I’m writing a series of essays on them at present, actually.
- Perhaps you’re unaware of other adaptations, so let me inform you that in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, Holmes is gay (see point 6), in Elementary, Watson is a woman, Moriarty is also Irene Adler and the series is set in New York, and in Basil the Great Mouse Detective, the characters are mice. Also, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle cared very little for Sherlock Holmes, and, despite claiming that ‘Holmes is as inhuman as a Babbage’s Calculating Machine, and just about as likely to fall in love’ in 1892, he later wrote a play, and when appealed to by William Gillette, who was to portray Holmes, for permission to alter his character, Doyle replied ‘You may marry him, murder him, or do anything you like to him.' HE DIDN’T CARE ABOUT HIS CHARACTERS BEING ALTERED.
- You are completely avoiding historical social context. In the Victorian era, MEN COULD NOT MARRY MEN AND WOMEN COULD NOT MARRY WOMEN. In fact, the Marriage Equality Bill was only passed in England THIS YEAR. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s close friend, Oscar Wilde, was sentenced to two years of hard labour which so severely damaged his health that he died 3 years later as punishment for ‘gross indecency’, i.e. homosexuality. Do you know what was used against him in court? The Picture of Dorian Gray - his novel - because it contained homoerotic subtext. Doyle wanted to portray Watson as a heart in contrast to Holmes’ head, and as such, he had to be romantic. HETEROROMANCE WAS THE ONLY OPTION IN THE ERA IN WHICH HE WAS WRITING.
- That said, the canon did contain plenty of homoerotic and homoromantic subtext which queer literary critics have been studying since its publication.
- MEN DON’T HAVE TO BE STRAIGHT TO MARRY WOMEN. Wilde was predominantly attracted to men (many consider him biromantic and homosexual), and he was married to a woman called Constance Lloyd. In the Victorian era, marriage was nowhere near so much based on love as it is today - it was about money, power, status, convenience, all kinds of things. Now, I do believe that Watson loved Mary Morstan (and that Wilde loved Constance Lloyd), but this context is important to recognise. In any case, biromantic/sexual and panromantic/sexual men marry women. That doesn’t make them unable to also feel love or attraction for men. John never says that he is straight, only that he isn’t gay (true) and isn’t Sherlock’s date (also true). That’s very open-ended phrasing that doesn’t rule out attraction to men/a man (and, in fact, series 3 creates plenty of space for a bisexual reading). In fact, even straight people are capable of finding themselves sexually and/or romantically attracted to a member of the same sex. The concept of exceptions to personal rules and the fluidity of sexuality was a key theme in A Scandal in Belgravia.
- The writers were influenced by The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes* (on which Mark Gatiss said: ‘The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is treated beautifully; Sherlock effectively falls in love with him in the film’ and on which the writer, Billy Wilder, said that he wished he’d had the ability to make Holmes unambiguously gay) and deliberately establish homoerotic and homoromantic subtext. In fact, at Anatomy of a Hit, they said that they regard all adaptations to be part of an ongoing canon, and draw as much influence from them as from the canon. For instance, A Scandal in Belgravia was much more closely based on The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes than A Scandal in Bohemia.
* more on this interview here
- On that note, I’m immensely amused that you are so scandalised by the concept of Holmes and Watson being written into a romantic relationship, yet have no issues with the fact that the stories have been translated into the 21st century (a decision which, at Anatomy of a Hit, the writers stated they felt automatically provided them with ‘license to be heretical’), that Irene Adler was portrayed as a lesbian dominatrix, that the meaning of ‘RACHE’ was inverted, that the Reichenbach Falls were exchanged for St. Bart’s Hospital, that Mary Morstan was portrayed as a contract killer and that Charles Augustus’ surname was changed from Milverton to Magnussen to account for his change of nationality from English to Danish and that he was portrayed as the head of a media corporation.
- It is possible to ship something in fanon without wanting it to become canon. There is also nothing wrong with wanting something that you enjoy to happen on screen and hence be more accessible to you, particularly if that thing would also be socially beneficial by providing (much needed) positive representation to marginalised groups.
- Shipping makes me happy. Fandom makes me happy. Sherlock makes me happy. I think it extremely rude of you to come into my ask box under the cowardly guise of anonymity to try to take that happiness away from me (you failed completely, I might add), when it literally affects you in exactly 0 ways.
So, in conclusion:
BRIT AND I TALKED ABOUT THIS ONCE BUT LIKE REVERSED
WE TALKED ABOUT JOHN CRASHING HIS CAR WHILE SHERLOCK WAS IN A PLAY AND HARRY TEXTING SALLY AND SALLY CATCHING HIS EYE DURING THE PERFORMANCE AND JOHN SEEING HER PANIC AND JUST WALKING OFF STAGE IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE HE’D THROW HIS IMPECCABLE PROFESSIONALISM OUT OF THE WINDOW IN A MILLISECOND FOR JOHN
AND NOW YOU’VE MADE IT EVEN WORSE BY MAKING ME PICTURE THE REVERSE AS WELL
JOHN WOULD BE SO SCARED AND SO ANGRY WITH HIMSELF FOR NOT BEING THERE
I’M SO UPSET
A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen. Harry Potter rolled over inside his blankets without waking up. One small hand closed on the letter beside him and he slept on, not knowing he was special, not knowing he was famous, not knowing he would be woken in a few hours’ time by Mrs. Dursley’s scream as she opened the front door to put out the milk bottles, nor that he would spend the next few weeks being prodded and pinched by his cousin Dudley…He couldn’t know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: “To Harry Potter - the boy who lived!”
good luck! ask if they can numb the area the needle goes in, it makes it much easier bc then you don’t feel it :)
they gave me some numbing cream to put on beforehand!! i’m pathetic because i actually don’t mind pain at all, i have an absurdly high pain threshold, but i don’t want to know when it’s going in ajsdhajd
i’m off to bed
bad news is i have to get up in less than 5 hours to have a blood test because i might be anaemic and i’m majorly grossed out by blood and needles
good news is i’m going to see pride again tomorrow
it’s a two-step programme
knowledge and nonchalance is all you need to handle an online argument
As some of you know, Brit (tumblr user sumatrastreet) and I have been best friends for a long time, but in over a year of knowing each other, we’ve never been able to meet in person. During Christmas break, she has an opportunity to visit me! The problem is that we live about 4,400 miles apart and it will cost her around $1,500 to fly here and back, which, since we’re both university students, isn’t a price we can realistically afford without assistance!
I know that I have some amazing followers and that people have been able to meet their friends because of the generosity of people on tumblr before, so we decided that appealing to our collective following was worth a try!
To donate, please click here or, if that doesn’t work, on the donate button in the top left hand corner of my blog or Brit’s. Alternatively, send your money directly to the following address through PayPal: email@example.com
Whatever you can spare, even if it’s just $1, will be so appreciated! However, since we’re looking to raise a large sum, we decided to throw in some rewards to say thank you to the people who help us out.
- If you donate $1, I will give you a solo text post promo to 20,000+ followers.
- If you donate $5, I will give you a solo promo to 20,000+ followers with a simple url graphic like this.
- If you donate $10, I will give you a solo promo with a simple url graphic plus a simple graphic of your favourite celebrity, ship or character like this, this or this, OR a solo promo with a simple url graphic plus a picspam like this, this or this (any character/ship/fic/AUyou want providing I’m familiar with the source material).
- If you donate $15, I will give you a solo promo with a simple url graphic plus a simple graphic or picspam, plus myself or Brit will write you a ficlet up to 1,000 words long. You can see examples of my writing here (more to be uploaded soon) and examples of Brit’s are available on request! If you would prefer a poem to a fic, I will also write those (length will depend on what style I think is suitable for the prompt you send me). This can, again, be for any ship and with any prompt that you like, but we will obviously write better for ships we ship! Ask, and we’ll let you know what we can do!
- If you donate $20, I will give you a solo promo with a simple url graphic or picspam, plus myself or Brit will write you a ficlet between 1,000 and 2,500 words long/I will write you a poem. Also, if you are writing a fic, I will put my in-progress degree in English literature and creative writing to use and beta your fic for you (the fic’s final length must be 50,000 words or under)!
- If you donate $25, I will give you all of the above (including both a graphic and a picspam), PLUS any other (reasonable) favours! Examples of favours include: promoting your art, promoting your fic, personalised advice on how to reach a wider audience with your blog and/ora meta discussion (send me a link to your analysis of any of the shows I watch, I’ll respond and we can get a conversation going [you can see my meta here]!), but I’m open to any suggestions! I will also send you a personal letter of thanks (I will send these anywhere in the world, but you must be comfortable with giving me your address!).
- If you donate $50, you can have all of the above and you can join me and Brit in Regent’s Park (the park closest to Baker Street) during her stay so that we can thank you in person and discuss all things Sherlock! From there, I will take you on a tour of Sherlock’s London to see the Sherlock Holmes Museum, North Gower Street (the exterior shooting location for Baker Street and home of Speedy’s), St. Bart’s, Soho (home of Tapas Brindisa (Angelo’s) and the location of the cab chase scene in ASiP), and, if we have time, any other London shooting locations. I will also throw in a glossy print of any of the following posters from the BBC shop:
We’ll also be hosting a tinychat once we’ve reached our goal for everyone who donated so that we can thank you!
Some of my lovely friends have been kind enough to offer bonus rewards for the first people to donate!
You can see more of Selina’s work here!
I will try to keep this post updated and announce when each reward has all its slots filled!
If anyone else would like to donate rewards, please let me know - we would be immensely grateful!!
To claim a reward, please submit a screenshot of the confirmation screen on PayPal to me, along with specifications of what you would like. Please be as specific as you can, as it will save me time and ensure that you get something that you’re (hopefully) happy with! If you would like to claim a bonus rewards (please note that bonus rewards are limited to one per person), please tell me what you are interested in and I will confirm or deny availability. If there is availability, you are then free to message the artist with your specifications (I will also message them to confirm that your request is legitimate). If there is not, you are free to pick from any other available offers.
We are classing donations in dollar brackets because that’s the currency with which Brit will be buying her ticket, but donations can be made regardless of your native currency - PayPal will convert it for you!
If you can’t donate, please reblog this post - the more people see this, the more donations we will hopefully receive!
Thank you so much to everyone who has and does help out - you can’t imagine how much we appreciate it!
Brontë & Brit xxx
We’re getting close to being able to afford the rest of the ticket ourselves! Any small donation would help us get there. Even if you can’t donate a dollar, please signal boost this to help us reach our goal!♡♡♡♡♡
Hi again! Since tickets are cheaper the further in advance you book them, Brit and I would really like to book ASAP. My student loan comes in on Monday, so I’ll be able to afford to make up some of the difference then, but it would be really helpful if we could raise a little bit more before then, because my loan is obviously meant to finance living requirements and study essentials! If you can’t spare anything, a reblog would be much appreciated. Thank you!! xxx
So yes, my scholarship money just came through as well, and while I obviously can’t make a big dent in it for personal expenses, it does mean that we can now buy the ticket sooner rather than later and save money that way. This is the last stretch! I plan to book a flight tomorrow! Your extremely generous donations are currently covering about half of the cost of a cheap plane ticket. Brontë and I will divide the remainder amongst ourselves, but if anybody sees it in them to donate even a small amount, it would really help out two university students
Slight change of plan! Due to family issues, we now won’t be buying the tickets until Wednesday/Thursday, so there’s still time to donate! We are so grateful for everything we’ve received, and with a little more money, this trip will be very affordable for us. Thank you so much if you donate/reblog - it’s much appreciated! xx
sometimes when i argue people are like “just leave it, it’s not worth it” and i’m like “i don’t think you understand how much fun i’m having”